Monday 26 September 2016

A Little Light Rambling




  I haven't gotten much of anything done lately. The Giant Baby and I took turns having a bad cold. Then it was time to try to wean him off the antacids he's been on his entire life. We're supposed to try this every three months to see if he's grown out of reflux. He hasn't. Not only has he not grown out of it but the experience was so harrowing that right now as far as I'm concerned, he can take the antacids forever. Then, just as he was starting to seem more like his usual self, his Dad left him in a dirty nappy while I was at work and he got his first ever nappy rash and it was nasty. And he was miserable.
  All of this has made the Giant Baby uncharacteristically fussy and clingy. Even now I can't get him to nap in his cot. He will only nap in my arms, on the couch or in the car. Which limits what I can do at nap-time. I don't want to spread sewing stuff out and then have to madly scramble to put it away when he wakes up. Mostly because I'm pretty sure I'd miss something and he'd get hurt. I can't spread doll stuff all over the lounge room to take photos. Partly because turning enough lights on to take photos will wake him. Partly because if he wakes up, he will turn into a tornado of rage grabbing dolls and my camera and anything else he can reach.

Mega-Toddler! He'll hide the tv remote and then scream because you take too
long changing the channel.

  And he's turned into Mega-Toddler. Can't reach something? Screech. Can't find Mum? Screech. Don't want to do something? Screech. Want to do something? Screech. Every day he falls over or bumps into something at least once, gets told no, tries to do something he's not allowed to do or doesn't have the skills for yet or that isn't physically possible. And his response to all of these things at the moment is screaming. Which is super-fun.
  His Grandmother taught him to say please. I honestly had no idea he was old enough for manners. So now, if he wants something he shrieks "Ease!" in a voice that makes Elmo sound like Barry White. Even better, when he gets angry (usually because the first please didn't work) he'll keep yelling "please" but it sounds more and more like "arse" each time he says it until I start to wonder if he's going to turn into Father Jack Hackett from the tv show Father Ted. Although if I could teach him to say "drink", "girls", "feck", and "that would be an ecumenical matter." perhaps we'd have some kind of routine on our hands. The Giant Husband says this is not allowed.
  Meanwhile between the Giant Baby, housework, work-work, and everything else, by the time the Giant Baby goes to bed at night, I'm too tired to do more than scroll listlessly through my pinterest feed for five minutes before going to bed myself. So my projects have been temporarily put on hold.



  The dress for Not-Glinda in particular has hit a snag. The bodice is done. I need to make the skirt and attach it. Except I have no intention of hemming it by hand which is a problem. I can't use the sewing machine when the Giant Baby is sleeping because it wakes him. I can't use the sewing machine when the Giant Baby is awake. Because there is nowhere in the house that I can set up the sewing machine that he can't get to. . . actually since the doors in our house don't close properly, there's just nowhere he can't get to full stop. So it has to wait until there's a weekend when I'm not working and we don't have plans, when I can talk the Giant Husband into taking him somewhere, even the other end of the house would do.

  The Baby So Beautiful dolls are progressing. Slowly. I'm putting money aside for a new wig for the bald doll. I want screamingly red, wispy ponytails for her. I have a vague idea of what kind of clothes I want for her, but I want to see her finished with her new hair before I make my final decision. At the end of the day it will almost certainly be a simple, high waisted dress. I don't think I will try to make her clothes that disguise her injured hand after all and I think I'll go for something cute rather than something fashionable so it dates better.

  I recently bought a new play doll. A Shibajuku Girl doll. I want to write a review of her here because before I bought her the only reviews I could find of the line were Mum-blog reviews which more or less read "Amphetamine and Lobotomy received this doll for review. They both thought she was pretty. Amphetamine loves her long hair. Lobotomy hasn't stopped playing with the accessories since we opened the box. The end." Which is great but doesn't answer any of the questions I have. Like how is she different to other dolls? She's taller than other fashion dolls but is the extra height just her giant head? Can she wear other dolls clothes? What's her jointing like? What sort of quality are we talking about? How well made are her clothes? And most importantly do I like her? Strange as it may sound I don't know if I do or not. I'm intrigued. But I don't know what I think yet. Possibly because I haven't even had a chance to open the box yet. I have a few extra shifts at work this week, but if I survive that, the Giant Husband has promised to amuse the Giant Baby on the weekend so hopefully I can get that done then. And hem Not-Glinda's skirt.

And now back to the battlefield.


No comments:

Post a Comment