Wednesday 25 September 2019

It seams perfect!

Barb's post about the amazingly awesome Barbie sewing machine set, reminded me that I never showed you the Our Generation sewing machine set, that I got for my birthday earlier this year.

This wasn't easy to find either. In Australia, it's Kmart that sells Our Generation stuff and I have never seen this set there. But some toy shops also get OG stuff in and I found this online at a shop called Kid Stuff.


And here it is! A table and chair, a sewing machine, a dress form, a tin of sewing accessories, a pattern, and a bolt of cloth.

The table feels a little spindly to me. Those drawers don't open. But there's a magic button on the side that flips out a little tab . . .


That acts as a support for a table extension. And once the extension is flipped out, there's a cavity underneath that the sewing machine fits into.

The machine is pretty cool. The little, silver, stitch selection dial actually turns. But doesn't really do anything. I can't remember the name for it right now, but the green wheel on the end, not only turns but actually moves the needle up and down. And there is a little lever behind the needle that actually raises and lowers the presser foot. All these things made me make high pitched noises of happy!


The tin for the accessories looks fittingly outdated, but I wish it had pictures of Danish Butter Cookies on top! And here's the stuff . . .


An 18 inch long tape measure, a ruler, scissors, two spools of thread, a tailors pencil, four buttons, a buttonhole measure, and the ubiquitous tomato pin cushion.

The tape measure seems to be made of the stuff actual tape measures are made from, my brain says fibre glass but I'm exhausted, it's just as likely to suggest kittens. The scissors open and close. The slider on the button measuring thingy actually slides. And the pin cushion is on a wrist band for the doll to wear.


The pattern is an actual pattern for an a line dress which I assume fits Our Generation dolls. I also assume the bolt has enough fabric to make the dress. (It's denim coloured stuff with a grey heart pattern, if you're wondering.) I haven't unrolled it though so I can't be sure.

I don't dislike the dress form, but I wish it didn't have all those words on it. Until tonight, I assumed it was way too small for 18 inch doll clothes but then I did this.  . .


I thought it would be funny, because the dress would be way to big. It actually fits beautifully!

On the other hand, like most 18 inch doll playsets, the really funny thing, is how out of scale they are with the dolls.


To be fair this is an Our Generation doll and an Our Generation playset. And yet she looks like Andre the Giant standing with some preschool furniture!


I thought this would help. No. No it did not. Getting her to balance on that chair without her or the chair falling over, felt like necromancy by the end. And then there was no way to pose her gracefully. So now she looks like she's, if not doing necromancy, at least communing with the spirit world.
On the bright side, the pin cushion fits her wrist!


Of course, I actually bought this set, for my Helen Kish dolls and it fits them beautifully. Except the pin cushion. It refused to stay on her wrist at all.


She also has enough articulation to look like she's actually doing something with it!


I don't have a clever way to end this post. It was meant to be about three sentences, but as usual I got carried away and now I need to sleep.

4 comments:

  1. That's a very nice set, Rachael. All the details are perfect, and spot on. And your Kish doll does look nice with it. I imagine if stuff for 18" dolls was made in a better scale, it'd be completely unaffordable. At least this way, our smaller scale dolls get a chance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the affordability is probably a huge part of why these sets are always out of scale. Also I'm guessing the companies that make them assume kids won't care too much if the scale isn't perfect.
      Not too bothered by it, because it works well with other dolls.

      Delete
  2. Oooh this is one great set for HK and similar, like you I wouldn't use it with OG dolls, it looks rediculous. I may have to keep my eyes open for one of these sets, but I bet I have no luck or if I do I'll have no money!! LOL!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty positive you will never see this set in Kmart. But independent toy shops might have it. Unfortunately they charge twice what Kmart would.

      Delete