Friday 21 August 2020

Another Paola Reina doll

  When I bought Barbara, I did my usual thing of checking prices at various shops before I bought her. I kept seeing the 60cm Paola Reina dolls and I was intrigued by their articulation and I wanted one. But in Australia they're $240! And I can be a bit of a cheapskate. And then I stumbled across this, heavily discounted Mei and couldn't resist. With shipping she was just over a hundred dollars, so I effectively got Mei and Barbara for the usual price of one of the big dolls. Yay me!

But, she then decided to tour the country on her way here. A few days in Adelaide, a few days in Sydney (Why!? That is further from Adelaide than Melbourne is!), a few days in a town I have never even heard of, then on to Melbourne, and eventually to me. But she's finally here.

That is one big box! For some reason Tiny was convinced her brother was inside it!

She is mammoth. She has rotating joints at her ankles and wrist, and those hinged joints that always remind me of calipers, at her elbows and knees. But weirdly, she just has standard "dolly joints" that only rotate without any inward or outward movement, at her hips and shoulders.

For a new doll, she isn't in fantastic condition. She's obviously been used for display and has a small scratch on one eye, a snag on the print on her top and her hair is a mess. If I had paid full price, I would be annoyed. But the scratch isn't noticeable, I don't like her clothes anyway, and her hair can be brushed, so I'm not fussed.

Her face is quite lovely but I'm tempted to add some colour to her cheeks and maybe a couple of light freckles.

When I took her jacket off, it looked like it may have slightly stained her arms, so I've taken her tights off as well, as a precaution.

She is absolutely lovely, and once she's had her hair brushed and has a new dress, she might be even lovelier!


Tiny with Mei, unboxed. The box is quite a bit bigger than Mei. Mei is 60cm (23inches) the box is 80cm (31.5 "). Tiny is 84cm (33")


7 comments:

  1. Congrats Rachael! Australia Post is doing really strange things at present, I was really surprised that my last doll came direct fro S.A. Your Mei has a very pretty face, but I'm not fond of the way her legs spread when she sits. Even with the addition joints, I think she will look better displayed as a standing doll. I shall look forward to, seeing her again once you've given her a light blush and re-dressed her in something you are happy with. :)
    Big hug,
    X
    P.S. Is she really as big as Tiny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You're right, she definitely does look better standing and takes up less room that way.
      I think Australia Post is struggling right now and are just trying to keep stuff moving, even if it's not quite in the right direction.
      The box is quite a bit bigger than the doll. Will update with a (terrible) picture of Tiny with the actual doll.

      Delete
  2. Not wanting to pay $240 for a vinyl playdoll isn't being a cheapskate. I wouldn't even pay that for an original Gotz Pleasant Company American Girl.

    Your doll is pretty, though. I'm sure that once you clean her up and add your improvements, she'll look even better. When I saw Tiny with the box on Instagram, I wasn't sure what was in the box. I should have known it was a doll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb, I'm trying to plan her clothes at the moment. But I've had two ideas and haven't been able to find the right fabric for either of them.

      Delete
  3. That's a very good price, these dolls are not that expensive here in Spain I guess because they're made her, however, I've only ever seen one once in a toy shop...and she wasn't very cheap! This one has a nice face and as you say, you can brush her hair and she'll be good as new. But like others have said, I think those widely spread legs are a bit of a nuisance because she'll take up so much room like that. I think they need to rethink some of her joints.
    x
    PS Tiny is very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon.
      Lot's of businesses here use the excuse of freight and import costs causing high prices for most stuff. But I think sometimes they exaggerate it a bit.

      Delete
  4. She is big, but I have a shelf with some bigger dolls standing on it and she would fit up there and be out of the way.

    ReplyDelete