Tuesday 18 April 2017

Tiny Tuesday. Re-ment Pose Skeleton.

 This was nearly a very different post. The Giant Husband gave me a budget to buy something that I wanted for my birthday. I immediately decided to order some Reutter Porzellan miniatures for my dollhouse. (If you don't know what these are, here's a link. They're lovely.) Which I would have written about here. Unfortunately the shop that I like to order Reutter stuff from (because they're fairly local, cheap and friendly) was closed for most of March and somehow I ended up finding something else entirely different somewhere else.


 Meet Mordecai, a miniature (extremely) posable skeleton by Re-ment. If you don't know Re-ment, they are a Japanese company that make miniature, blindbox toys. A lot of their stuff seems to be food, from the pictures I've seen online a lot of it's amazing, this is the first piece that I've seen in real life. The Pose Skeleton comes in a few different sizes. Mine is the first one they released (understandably marked #1 on the packaging) this one was, as far as I can tell, just a skeleton. Since they released this one, they've added #2 - a child, #3 - a slightly taller figure with a more aggressive face which is male, #4 - a slightly shorter figure with a detatchable hair bow and a more smiley face which is female. There's also a dog, a cat, accessories and furniture plus dinosaurs and animal skeletons. (I'm pretty sure the dinosaur and animal skeletons are a totally different scale to these figures though.)

 This little guy is TINY and incredibly detailed.



 In all honesty I have no idea if he's an "accurate" skeleton (I'm fairly rubbish at science in all it's forms.) but he looks extremely impressive. He's made of off-white plastic but there's plenty of shading to highlight the details. And he has an amazing number of joints. His head sits on a ball-joint. His jaw is jointed so it opens and closes. He also has a ball joint at his waist and more in his shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. His elbows are hinged. Probably the only disappointment is that his wrists are not jointed. BUT his hands do rotate in their sockets, because they're removable. AND he comes with a second extra set of grasping hands!


I'm not sure if it's just me but the grasping hands seem whiter to me than the regular hands. More importantly these are unbelievably small. I'm caught somewhere between being terrified I'm going to lose one, or just calmly accepting that I will inevitably lose one!

How is he supposed to pick his hands up, without any hands?

Altogether this little guy is eight centimetres (or 3 inches if you prefer) tall. The Re-ment website says he's nine centimetres but I think they must be measuring him with his feet stretched out, making his legs seem longer, because lying flat-footed on a ruler he is exactly eight centimetres.

Like a tiny, little fairy!

To give you a better idea of his proportions, I snapped a few, quick photos with some other dolls.
Monster High's Frankie Stein makes him look like a rag doll. . .

But they look really cute together!

This Living Dead mini doll (which has the same body and size as Barbie's old sister Kelly) makes him look tiny and delicate. . .

"When I said you were big, I didn't mean it like THAT!"

This Heidi Ott dollhouse doll (4 inches high) looks oversized and clumsy by comparison. . .


But he is posable enough to ride her rocking horse, even though she isn't. . .


And he's a fairly similar size to the mini Shopkins dolls and the mini Lalaloopsys. . .

But he doesn't look comfortable at all!

I have had a great time playing with this guy. His jointing takes a little getting used to. Mostly because he's so small that it can be tricky to move one joint without accidentally moving another. And moving his head or jaw very often generally results in his entire jaw falling off!


He is 1:18 scale. Which means he probably should work well with furniture made for Sylvanian Families (Calico Critters) or Little Woodees and Lundby dollhouse sets. Or maybe even Playmobil. Unfortunately I don't have any of this stuff to test that theory but he does fit in quite well with some of the Shopkins Happy Places stuff. . .

If they look a little wet, it's because I assumed this lounge would float.
I was wrong.

And some of the more delicate 1:12 scale dollhouse stuff actually works quite well with him, like this Reutter outhouse. . .
I couldn't help myself.

He also reminded me of one of the reasons why I loved tiny, little toys as a kid. Because I could sneak them into places that I wasn't supposed to take toys. Yep. He came to work with me.
He explored. . .

Climbed the cabinets. . .


Admired the artwork. . .


Made friends. . .


Wondered how the heck he was supposed to ride the horses. . .


And posed for pictures. . .


I am incredibly happy with this little guy and am already plotting to maybe get him a family, or to maybe buy a Sylvanian Families house (Little Woodeez are cheaper but they seem to have vanished from all our local stores so maybe they don't make them anymore?) and spookify it for him. For better or worse he is giving me a LOT of crazy ideas.


One thing I will say is that he cost me $15.50 with shipping from Japan. While I was looking for him, I saw him at a variety of prices, one ebay ad (that looked a little dodgey) had him for much less than what I paid, but also a lot of places were selling him for forty dollars, or more. As cool as he is, he's not worth that much. I wouldn't recommend paying more than about twenty dollars for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment