Wednesday 5 June 2019

Craft room plans





 My doll/sewing/craft room hasn't eventuated yet. In fact, I've kind of been taking a break from doll stuff. I've still been doing a little bit of sewing, but mostly for Tiny.

 At the moment my room is on hold until I get my tax refund. And then, of course, I'm going to be on a budget. Ugh. But since we bought so much new stuff when we moved, there's not really any household stuff that needs replacing, so my whole refund can go on my space. Theoretically anyway.
 Of course, I'm being completely insane. . . I mean efficient and practical about it. Planning exactly what I'm buying, how I'm storing stuff. It's possible scale drawings are involved. But it's hard to plan what to store how and where, since most of that sort of stuff is still packed from the move, so I don't exactly know what I need storage for.

 I've spent a lot of time looking at craft rooms on Pinterest. Which I have to say is frustrating. There are a lot of lovely craft rooms but they require unlimited funds, or unlimited space, or custom built ins. None of which are in my budget.
 Or the entire room is designed around an antique desk, or card catalogue, or curio cabinet that was gifted to the crafter by a mysterious stranger, in a forest, by moonlight. Something beautiful, but without an easily obtainable equivalent.
 I'm also finding a lot of storage ideas. At first I'm drawn to the pretty, artistic, storage. But I'm not really inclined to go that way. I've got a feeling a lot of things I've seen would be inconvenient or impractical in real life. Or only look good until you used any of the stuff, or bought more stuff.

 I've actually had a Dream Craft Room for a while. In my dream room, the walls would be lined with white cabinets, like kitchen cabinets, with shelving above them, floor to ceiling. All the craft stuff could be stored in the cabinets, where it doesn't matter if it's pretty, because you can't see it. And there'd be dolls on the shelves.
 I'm not going to be able to afford to do that, besides the room is the wrong shape, and I would have nowhere for the dollhouse. But I am going to sort of replicate an adapted version of this in one corner, with a modular kitchen counter from Ikea, with two three by three storage cubes from Bunnings on top. We'll probably find a way to bolt the cubed to the cabinet. The cubes will store craft supplies, not display dolls. And the cabinet has a shelf that would be perfect to store my sewing machine and an overlocker (or serger  if you prefer), if I can afford one.

 The big issue with the furniture I've chosen is that everything is white (Which I wanted) but the table I'm getting for the house, only comes in black. I'm considering ways to make it white. I could spray paint it. But the table is coated in melamine, which makes me worry spray paint would scratch right off. Or maybe I could cover it with white adhesive vinyl, contact, stuff. But I'm worried THAT would look messy or peel.
Sigh. I might just leave it black.

Do you guys have a craft room? Or a Dream Craft Room? Or any ideas for storage? Or what to do about the black table?


6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael!
    When I did my doll room, I used IKEA's Billy bookcases, they are quite reasonable pricewise, come in a variety of sizes and can be added to as needed. https://xanadudolls.blogspot.com/2018/03/organising-doll-room.html

    I really like using the plastic Systema boxes because you can see what is inside (I bought the large ones which are normally $12, but got them at Coles on sale for $6), but if you would rather not see the boxes themselves Billy doors can be added. :) I also have an IKEA table which has fold down sides (in white), so let me know if you're interested and I'll find out what it's called, just can't remember of the top of this ol' head of mine. :)

    Good luck with the organising, I'd love to see photos when it's all done. :) I hope I have been of some help.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your room looks great! I really like the way the boxes fit perfectly on the shelves.
      There are definitely Billy bookcases on my shopping list.
      The Giant Husband has been trying to talk me into getting Reject Shop boxes instead of Sistema. But I trialled some yesterday and the lids are too hard to get on and they don't fit my shelves the way their measurements suggested they would. He says Sistema is too expensive. I say they sell it everywhere it's always on special somewhere!
      If you could find out the name of that table, that'd be great, then I can check the dimensions on the Ikea website. (Which is super overwhelming)

      Delete
    2. It's the Ingatorp table https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60423110/
      I love that it has the drop sides because it doesn't take up too much space when it's not in use, which allows me to move freely around the room.

      In regards to the Systema, just keep an eye open at Coles and Woolworths as they often have them on special for $6, which I think is very reasonable for the quality and they are a perfect fit for the Billy's.

      Delete
    3. That is one beautiful table! Doesn't look Ikea-ish at all! It's on my list of possible tables, which is getting long and now includes masochistic things like "custom build a table"!

      Delete
  2. I used to have a doll/sewing room a long time ago. Since Eldest Daughter moved out, we have slowly been converting the unused bedroom into a craft/hobby room for myself, Mr. BTEG, and the Dancer. I'm just about close enough that I can take pictures of it and post them. My doll display/sewing area is in Mr. BTEG's and my bedroom. As I'm moving stuff into my space into the craft room, I'm also trying to get my sewing area space open enough that I can easily use it again.

    I'm really impressed with your detailed craft room plans. I agree that Pinterest is not really the best place to look for ideas if you are on a budget. Neither are YouTube videos. What size is your dollhouse? I don't remember ever seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! I remember you talking about setting up a room for crafts and your husband and daughter to paint miniatures, now! I can't wait to see it!
      My dollhouse is the Garfield by Greenleaf. It's enormous! We had trouble finding a car it would fit in to move it! It's 42 inches by 30 inches. I haven't taken any "proper" photos of it yet because even though I've had it for 5 or 6 years, I haven't finished the roof yet.

      Delete