Friday 17 April 2020

My Collection Part Five

This post is going to be a short one in number of dolls but probably quite long in blah, blah, blah, because I have a fair bit to say about these girls.

My Baby So Beautiful dolls.

Baby So Beautiful was a line of toddler dolls released by Playmates in 1995. I think they only lasted about a year but there were two spin off lines. A line of baby dolls called Newborn Baby So Beautiful and a line of teenage fashion dolls (more like Cissy than Barbie) called Young Lady So Beautiful.

All my girls were from the toddler line. They were available in a range of skin colours, head molds, hair colours and styles, eye colours, and outfits put together in a random kind of way that means there's a huge amount of variation. They're full vinyl (and it's a nice vinyl), with fixed acrylic eyes, wigged hair and applied lashes. I can't say why I like them. I'm not usually into toddler dolls, and these girls generally have issues, but for some reason I find them really appealing.

What are their issues? Well, their wigs were pretty crappy, a lot have dried out to the point of disintegration. Their eyes are prone to discolouration and their lip paint tended to fade, usually to creepy shades of lilac or orange or yellow. Even still I would love to, one day, have a bunch of these dolls. Definitely one of each head mold would be awesome. Unfortunately while I see plenty listed on EBay for $10 or $20 (Australian dollars), they're always in the US, which means forty dollars or more for postage. Ones listed in Australia are usually between $40 and $60 (plus postage), no matter their condition. And given the amount of care they can need, that just feels too expensive to me.


This is Jessamy and she is pretty much like new. She has no fading, she's still wearing her original haired, she even has her locket. Every doll came with a little plastic locket and a "baby book". She also has a headband somewhere, but it looks stupid, so I don't put it on her.


This is Emily Kathryn. Even though she's always belonged to me, and I was an adult by the time I got her, so she's only been a display doll, she's a little unfortunate at the moment. A couple of years ago, her wig was REALLY dry, so I tried soaking it in fabric softener. When I rinsed it out, all the hair started breaking off! I tossed it but I keep forgetting to get her a new one. Her eyes are turning yellow too, which is a shame.
She probably has the most common face sculpt.



This is Kirralee. She has the same face as Emily, but she's even more unfortunate. She was found bald, naked, and missing the fingers off one hand at an op shop. I repainted her lips, but the paint I used bled into her vinyl, so I removed it and repainted them again. She has a wig, but no clothes yet, because I can never decide what to make for her to wear. Her eyes are an awesome goldy colour that I love, and I am going to be heartbroken if they fade.


And this, as yet unnamed girl, arrived this afternoon. So far, I can't tell if her face is the same as Jessamy's but painted differently or a different sculpt altogether. Her clothes need a wash, her hair is like steel wool, she's very grotty, her left eye is quite yellowed and her lips have gone a purplish colour. This is what I'm talking about when I say these dolls are overpriced on EBay here. She wasn't too bad. Including postage she was under twenty five dollars but there's another girl in the same dress (different colour), in similar condition, listed on EBay right now for over forty dollars, not including shipping! Paying twenty dollars for a doll in this kind of condition, I can deal with. But paying sixty dollars for a doll with purple lips, that's going to need a new wig, and possibly new eyes - no thanks.
I got this new girl thinking I could give her body to Kirralee and use her head to test whether you could change their eyes. Unfortunately her skin is a different colour to Kirralee's so head swap is out. I'll still probably try switching her eyes out though.

There's a couple more on EBay that I have my eye on at the moment but haven't quite made up my mind over. Including one in t the US that I want because it looks like Tiny but I don't want to buy because it has the same face as Emily and Kirralee and having three of the same sculpt feels like a waste.

I'm hoping that eventually I can update you guys with some less neglected looking toddlers.


*Update*
Removed new girl's wig (the Giant Baby says I should call her "Friendia") and it has left stains on her head, which I'll need to think of when I get her new one.
And just for curiosities sake the marking on her head #1A1-A7

Kirralee's markings #4A1-3


And Emily's markings (which I expected to match Kirralee's but don't) #4-29
I wish I knew what these meant, and why Emily's and Kirralee's aren't the same.

Doll count:- 55

No comments:

Post a Comment