Sunday 11 October 2020

New Friends.

 Meet Jane.



Back in about 1998, Jane was the Robert Tonner Club Doll. She has been on my wish list ever since. But I never thought I would get one. In fact, I wrote a dolly wish list on my IPad a few months ago. Jane is on it, but she's followed by laughing face emojis because I never thought one would turn up. But she did! Yay!

I remember the ad for Jane in Doll Reader. With her was pictured a back to school outfit of a purple tartan kilt and purple argyle knit vest. But that really will never turn up, since I can't even find a picture of it online.

Jane has the Betsy McCall body but a different face. Her eyes are beautiful. Her hair is beautiful too, but has a problem with static that makes it hard to look nice.



My Jane is nearly in brand new condition. She even has her original hang tag.


And a Betsy McCall catalogue that's really a tiny book of paper dolls.


She also came with a Betsy McCall outfit.



A raincoat, rain hat, gumboots and umbrella.

I don't really know what I'm going to do with this. I'm kind of thinking of putting the outfit back on EBay. But Tiny is in love with the little umbrella and would probably hate me forever.


A couple of days after I ordered Jane, this girl showed up on EBay.


An Effanbee Fancy Nancy. I THINK she's the first Fancy Nancy they released, but I'm not sure. She's not in as good condition as Jane. She should have shoes and a bunch of hair  accessories, but I fell in love with her face. It's just so cute and full of character.


I'm not in love with her hair though. It looks purple but is actually pink and brown streaks, and her hair line is really low. And she has no neck to speak of.


Originally I was going to make these two be friends, or sisters. But their look is completely different. Jane has a very blank but pretty, dolly face, while Nancy is somehow both more realistic and more cartoonish at the same time. They just don't work together.



But their bodies are similar enough that they can share clothes. I like Nancy's dress on Jane and weirdly it seems to fit Jane a little better. Nancy wasn't impressed by the denim pinafore though.




But she was quite happy with this. Except her feet are bigger than Jane's. There was no chance of the red boots fitting, she'll have to puddle jump barefoot.


When I ordered these two, I expected to love Jane and be disappointed with Nancy. Now I'm not even sure which one I love more. Jane is beautiful but Nancy oozes personality. 




I was going to compare these girls to my other dolls of similar size and see who they could share clothes with. But if I wait until I have time to do that it will never get posted.

Doll Count : 83

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I really prefer Jane over Nancy; I like her big innocent eyes. Save the rain outfit for Tiny when she's old enough to take good care of a doll that size. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird Barb! I didn't change their clothes until I was writing this yesterday. Up until then I was a little disappointed in Jane and loved Nancy. Now, Jane is wearing Nancy's dress and I can't stop looking at her! She's so pretty! But apparently her original outfit is unflattering.
      Putting it away for Tiny is a great idea. I think I will.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely pair of dolls Rachael. They may have completely different "personalities" but isn't that part of the enjoyment of doll collecting? I love Jane's big eyes and Nancy's wide smile. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete