Tuesday 1 August 2017

1950s Project Conclusion


 I finished Jenny's new dress today. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a tiny bit longer than I meant for it to be (you should be able to just see her knees) but I'm absolutely rubbish at estimating lengths for skirts and dresses.

  The starching and grosgrain ribbon didn't make her skirt stick out quite enough so I used an off-cut of tulle to make her a stiff, tutu-like petticoat. I cheated on her knee socks (or stockings as they look like in this picture) and used a pair of baby socks that I'm pretty sure never actually fitted the Giant Baby. They fit her pretty well though.



  I made the belt buckle from a little dodad I got in a two dollar shop. It's a little plastic ring that's supposed to hold your bra straps together behind you. I covered it with the accent fabric and stuck it down with double sided tape, then added an extra cardboard backing. I'm guessing it would fall apart pretty quickly if it was being done up and undone a lot but since I don't intend on doing that, hopefully it will hold together for a year or two at least. It's not quite as neat as I would like, but it'll do.



  Even though this project is finished, I'm going to keep an eye out for some pale blue ribbon to replace the red ribbons on the ends of her plaits. So far I've not been able to find any though, so I'm just tucking her hair behind her shoulders.

  I'm aware the photos in this post aren't incredibly inspiring but unfortunately her size and lack of articulation make Jenny a nightmare to photograph, so I just found somewhere she fit and got it over and done with.
  Normally I would include the pattern for this dress and instructions for making it but it turns out my scanner is dead. If I can work out what's wrong with it, I'll add the pattern later, if not I'll tell myself nobody that reads this is likely to have the same sized doll anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment