Thursday 14 November 2019

Special Paper Dolls

 About a year ago I posted some old paper dolls that I made. Over the next few weeks, completely by coincidence, I was part of about five different conversations that touched on the topic of how difficult it is to keep younger kids entertained while they're in hospital. One lady, actually mentioned that her daughters had had paper dolls thirty years ago, and that she'd wanted some for her granddaughter while she was in hospital, but hadn't been able to find any.

 And so followed a year long project. It didn't actually take a year, there were long breaks, and I forgot about it for months after we moved. Researching, drawing, painting, tidying it all up in Photoshop, and now I have a whole book of paper dolls. Not a real book. A PDF book that only exists on my computer but whatever. I also accidentally discovered that you can make multi page PDFs in Photoshop Elements, which is something I've always wanted to be able to do and will come in pretty handy!

 Anyway, I've printed out a bunch this week and I'm going to send them to the Royal Children's Hospital. I just need to buy some white card to glue the dolls themselves to. I thought our regular shops would sell white card somewhere but the closest I could find  were blank greeting cards in "Make your own card" kits. I nearly bought them but I wasn't sure if they'd be big enough, so it will have to wait until we can get to Officeworks. Hopefully this afternoon.

There is way too much content to upload all the individual files here. But if you're interested, you can see the whole lot here.

And now I need to set to work, talking the Giant Baby into walking to Officeworks with me!

5 comments:

  1. Lost my first comment in the wind!

    I thought you did a superb job of these Rachael, the 16 dolls all looks different which will make it fun for the children. There's so much work gone into all the costumes too, must have taken hours and hours to finish them all . . . congratulations!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It did take ages, but it was fun and I'm really pleased with how they turned out - although I don't think ALL of the dolls are up to standard; so I don't mind.

      Delete
  2. It's taken me so long to comment on this, but your paper dolls are so nice! I'm sure lots of little girls will enjoy playing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Unfortunately at the moment it looks like the post office lost them! I don't know whether to get angry or just cry.

    ReplyDelete