Thursday 6 February 2020

Argh! Plague!

 I have made almost no progress on my crinoline petticoat. By almost no progress, I mean I have found a shop that sells corset boning and is getting in hoop wire (which is apparently an actual type of wire designed for petticoats), but I'm waiting for them to get hoop wire in before I order anything.

I haven't done any sewing. The day of my last post, I came down with a virus. I had a sore throat in the morning, by the end of the day, I could barely stand up. It was unpleasant.  Then, a week later, as I started to feel better, Tiny came down with the same thing. She had a fever of 40-41° (about 105 in farenheit) for days! It probably didn't help that at least one of those days the weather matched her fever. We got to spend most of one night in the most post apocalyptic emergency room I've ever seen. And then the baby insisted on keeping her hospital bracelet on for days. She's still under the weather even now and most of my time is comforting her.




 The Giant Baby started kindergarten this week. Because the baby's been sick, I haven't really been able to take full advantage of the break but he really seems to be enjoying himself and he looks adorable in his big sun hat, so that's good at least.

And I haven't really been just sitting on my bum while all this has been happening. I've been trying to sort out my fabric stash. My fabric stash WAS three huge plastic tubs and some old pillowcases, stuffed with fabric, in absolutely no order whatsoever. There were actual lengths of fabric, off cuts and remnants from various sources  and old and secondhand clothes all balled up together in a huge mound of chaos.
I've been trying to put all the bits of the same fabric together, unpicking the clothes, removing trims to save for later, throwing out any scraps that are smaller than my palm, folding everything neatly and putting it in zip lock bags.
 I'm about two thirds of the way done now. I'm just not sure how to divide it all up once I'm done. Whether to use my three big tubs or smaller boxes. Whether to divide it by colour or print or fabric or what. All I've decided for sure, is that it NEEDS to be divided somehow.

Hopefully I can update with something more productive and interesting soon.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear what a horrid start you have had to the year Rachael. I do hope your little Tiny recovers soon, the poor wee thing. I must say Giant Baby is looking rather handsome in his sun hat, doesn't time fly, it doesn't seem that long ago he was a bub.

    Now in regards to your stash, I ended up organising mine into colours (six boxes in all), reds & pinks together; all shades of blue/aqua; all shades of green/lime; yellow, beige & browns; black & purple shades; and I chucked the orange in with the multi colours that I didn't know what else to do with. :) I can tell you it makes it so much easier to make things now when I am looking for a specific colour.

    Still I expect you will work out what's best for you in the long run, but I do wish you much luck in sorting it all out.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy.
      That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of now, divide by colour and maybe a box for florals, one for stripes and checks, one for novelty prints etc. Exactly how I'll do it, I think might have to wait until I know how much there is and what size boxes I'm using. But I've already discovered that by folding it neatly in zip lock bags with the air squeezed out, it takes up a lot less room! Which is good.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda!
    Being able to find what I need without ending up with fabric all over the floor is what I'm hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this post late last night. Don't know why I hadn't seen it before. I know from Instagram that Tiny is doing better, so I'm happy for that.

    I have way too much fabric as well. I have mine sorted by fabric type, but that's because a lot of it is for making human sized clothes. I'm trying to further sort out the cottons that I have for making doll clothes. I'm not sure that dividing by color would work best for me, but it might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for not replying sooner but I only just saw this comment. Tiny seems fine now. A bit skinnier (it makes her look like a monkey) and a bit clingier but otherwise good.
      I wish I had never thought of sorting my fabric! I keep finding more! It never ends. Found two garbage bags full in a closet this morning. I honestly wanted to cry.

      Delete