Tuesday 18 February 2020

Grail dolls and party plans.

 Since I spent so much time culling my doll collection, I'm making a conscious effort not to buy new dolls on a whim. Basically I would rather buy fewer dolls that I really like and stuff for them, than a trillion dolls that I'm going to get bored of quickly.

 But my first new doll of this year has arrived. (I'm not counting my Iplehouse dolls as FIRST because they haven't arrived yet.)


 A Shirley Temple doll, I got on EBay. I've got mixed feelings about her and I knew I would have. I've always wanted a Shirley Temple doll to make clothes for. I find Shirley Temple a bit "meh" but a lot of her clothes were great. My ideal Shirley doll would be a number 3 Little Darling painted to look like her. Some were made at some point, for a convention, I've seen them on EBay. But since I don't have unlimited money or the patience of a saint, that's not really an option.

 This is the Shirley Temple dress up doll. I wanted this doll desperately, when Danbury Mint released her, back in the 90s. Eventually my enthusiasm waned a bit. Actual owner pictures never looked as nice as promotional pictures. So when I finally found one for sale in Australia, I was in two minds. I wanted her and knew if I didn't buy her, it might be years  before I saw another one that didn't require international shipping and I would regret it. But I was pretty sure that if I got her, I would be disappointed.

 She's not "blow me away" amazing but (possibly because my expectations weren't high) she's much nicer than expected. Sure, from a lot of angles, she has a maniac, serial killer, stare, she looks like she fell asleep in a sunbed, and her wig isn't in fantastic condition. Her dress is clearly the ballet dress from the Baby take a bow film, and not a great rendition of it. I actually think her dress is from one of the porcelain Shirleys that Danbury Mint made, but I'm not sure.

I actually really do like her and since a few years ago, when the real Shirley's costume collection was auctioned, I bought a copy of the auction catalogue, I have plenty of pictures to work from when I do make her clothes.

 I'm also planning the Giant Baby's Rainbow Candy Birthday party. Ugh. Last year, he had a rainbow candy birthday cake amd ever since has wanted to have this birthday be a rainbow candy birthday. This is last year's cake


The Giant Baby wants to decorate cupcakes at his party. Which is fine. Except our oven is shit. I don't know where to buy blank premade cupcakes and I'm a cheapskate anyway. I'm also not going to ask someone else to make forty odd cupcakes because I'm not actually Satan. So today I did some experimenting.

I had read that you can cook cakes in an electric fry pan, and I can't remember if I've ever made a cake in our oven. So we made up a batch of cupcakes and cooked half in our oven and half in the electric fry pan.

The verdict? As Tiny would say "Oh dear!"


The ones from the oven came out burnt on top, slightly undercooked in the middle and hopelessly lopsided. But very yummy.


The ones from the electric fry pan didn't rise enough, didn't brown at all (obviously they wouldn't), and tasted weirdly eggy.

Gah. I think I'm going to have to get my silly self to Big W to get a microwave cupcake cooker and keep my fingers crossed that that actually turns out decent cupcakes.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the arrival of Shirley, though I wasn't sure at first whether to do so or commiserate with you instead. She's cute in her own way and I'm sure once you have given her the attention she requires, you'll be happy with her.

    Boy what a dilemma you had with the cupcakes Rachael, I do hope you can find a solution in time for the birthday party. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. That's how I felt waiting for her, not sure if I should be excited or worried but she's ok.
      I've decided if worst comes to worst, I can go to someone else's house and borrow their oven to do the cupcakes. Luckily there's still six weeks to go, so plenty of time to arrange something.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda. I'm glad I made you laugh.
    Fingers crossed on the cupcakes, had to mail order the thing to cook them in, so I can forget about it for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes that your feelings toward Shirley improve once you dress her in something that you made. You've definitely got a bunch of outfits to choose from!

    Last year's cake looks so yummy! I hope that you get things sorted out for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! There might be too much to choose from, my poor addled brain is much better at choosing between two things than a million

      Delete
    2. Pick your top three, put the names in a jar, amd draw one.

      Delete
    3. It says so right on the tin. ;) XD

      Delete