Wednesday 13 January 2021

Quickfire Christmas Dolls

 So these are the dolls that I bought with my Christmas money.


 

I wanted a couple of Kurhn dolls to play with because I'm not sure I even want to undress the ones I already had. I chose this one because I wanted one that came with extra hands. There are two current series - of seven dolls total; that come with extra hands. At first I was only get those ones but then I realised that all seven of them had identical facial screening! So I just chose my favourite.
And I'm not thrilled by the extra hands. The hands she comes with have Monster High style jointed wrists. Her extra hands don't. They just attach with pegs. I'd rather have the jointed wrists than the extra hands.
 I still want the other three girls from this girls series but not as much as I did before I realised they all had the same face and their extra hands weren't that great.




Another Kurhn. A more basic model because I liked her face. She's got a bunny pillow and a handbag, that's really just a pompom with a pearl "chain" glued on. And a weird sort of stole made out of fake flowers, that is also sleeves.


This girl is from the "Kurhn loves Minnie" series. Yeah, she's terrifying. Her head is huge and wobbly and she's completely out of scale with Kurhn, more like Holala. And that's ok, because I actually bought her as a potential body donor to one of these poor unfortunates

But I have a couple of more bodies coming before I make my final decision on whether creepy Minnie Mouse Kurhn gets decapitated or not.


I also got two Kruselings. They're awesome and I love them. The one on the left, Sofia, is my absolute favourite. I think I like every release of Sofia. This one has a bit of a Wellie Wishers vibe. The one on the right, Chloe, I guess I like her, but not as much as Sofia.
 
Chloe also has something weird going on with one of her eyes.
At first I thought her eyes were misaligned but her right eye socket is slightly bigger but also a tiny bit bulgy,  like maybe her eyeball isn't quite in the right place. And weirdly it's almost unnoticeable from some angles.

The thing that surprised me the most about these two was their size. I knew they were 9 inches tall.  But somehow that never really sunk in, possibly because I've never seen them side by side with other dolls. But they actually fit some Barbie clothes.
This Kurhn dress looks like a first communion dress on Sofia.

So the Kruselings are roughly the size of a Stacie doll, or a vintage Skipper, but they're chunkier because their scale is different.

They're a decent size to be five year olds to sixteen inch dolls. (Brenda is currently wearing scraps to cover her nakedness, rather than an outfit.) They'd look better if Brenda had flat feet or if they had painted eyes though. In fact if these girls had painted eyes, I'd have bought one years ago.

This picture is just to show the size/scale difference between the three types of doll.

And before I go these are Tiny's Christmas dolls
On the right is obviously Kurhn. On the left is an Anko fashion doll. Anko is Kmart Australia's home brand. And given their fashion dolls are all six dollars or less (plus you can get ones with prosthetics and wheelchairs and cochlear implants and blind ones  and so on) I'm actually really impressed by the quality. This one is a fairy and full price she's THREE DOLLARS! It's kind of crazy. Obviously she's not AS good quality as Barbie but she is way better quality than any other cheaper Barbie I've ever seen. I kind of want a bunch of these myself.



3 comments:

  1. I see you've become quite fascinated with the Kurhn dolls Rachael, you're amassing quite a haul now. I like the paring of the little red haired Kruseling with Brenda, they look good together.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Those Kurhn dolls are really starting to intrigue me. I saw them a while back on Barb's blog and totally forgot about them until very recently, when I found one on AliExpress.Their faces look rather similar, but some of them are really pretty.
    You have such an interesting and eclectic collection. You sure knew what you wanted to spend your money on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like Sofia better than Chloe. I've looked at the Kruselings dolls, but I keep telling myself that the Madame Alexander Travel Friends dolls that I already own are very similar in appearance, and really, they are. In the past, I have used my Kripplebush Kids dolls for children for the 16" size. Since they're also Tonner's work, they seem to match pretty well.

    ReplyDelete