Tuesday 13 August 2019

Craft room revealed

Yay! I have a craft room! Haven't had a chance to take pictures before today because both kids are sick, it was Tiny's birthday on Sunday, and I've been desperately making up photo books of the kids to get printed because the Giant Husband accidentally deleted all the photos on his phone!

So, when I say the craft room is finished, it's not quite. I'm still working it out. I'll probably still be working it out for another six months. Because it's a working space more than a decorative space, so over time some things will need more convenient places, and others will be pushed into the background. But here we go anyway.


This is my main storage area and of course the dollhouse. We went through a million different ideas for a table to put the dollhouse on. At one point I suggested building one, thinking we'd get a sheet of MDF and screw pre-bought legs on. The Giant Husband hijacked that idea and decided MDF was nasty, and pine was too cheap, but he was going to build a table. But it got too ambitious and started sounding ridiculously expensive, (and like it would never happen), so I decided to go with my original idea of two (very cheap) Ikea tables, even if they were black, to leave more money for other stuff.


 The dollhouse needs a good dust, and some minor repairs, so the furniture is all in boxes under the table for now.


A closer look at my storage area. There's a space left for my overlocker (which should be delivered tomorrow), and heaps of fun stuff in boxes. I brought the ironing board and iron in, because I'm a terrible housewife, and only ever iron when I'm sewing. 

The boxes are Sistema Storage boxes. They usually come with compartment trays in them, and the way their clips work - they're designed to act like a hinge, so you don't have to take the whole lid off, put it down, think "I'll put that back when I know I'm finished", then spend 45 minutes looking for it later. Sometimes planning for the fact you're disorganised and unreliable is a good thing!

Some of the boxes still aren't labelled. Some are empty. Because I want to get some cheap, toolshed type shelving to put in the wardrobe to store more boxes of stuff on. So some stuff isn't in it's permanent home yet because I'm not sure if it's going to stay up here or go in the wardrobe.


The other side of the room has my shelves of dolls and craft/sewing books and my little Aldi sewing table. At least one doll is naked because I completely forgot to dress her until I uploaded this picture. The dolls on these shelves are going to move around about nine million times before I settle on their actual places.


And of course my little table can be wheeled under the window and unfolded when I need it. I've got a feeling though, that within six weeks, unfolded under the window will be it's permanent home.

And of course my three favourite things in here?


A folding step stool, because I'm short and it's easier to have one just for in here.


A cereal box rubbish bin. It's easier to get little threads and scraps of paper to stay in here than an actual bin.


And a make-up case sewing box. I bought this years ago when I was trying to find a sewing box. They were all hideously expensive, garishly cute, or had no way to separate stuff inside. I like this because it wasn't expensive, it's plain and it has trays inside to separate things. I'm not showing you the inside though because it's a horrible mess!

So that's what I've been up to. Hopefully now that I have my own space, I can be a little more productive!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael!
    Your craft room is looking so organised, I bet you're thrilled with it!

    I think you will find opening the sewing table and leaving the machines on top will work out better in the end. It's a real pain in the butt having to keep putting a table up and down, not to mention picking up the sewing machine and unpacking the foot press etc each time you want to sew. Which often leads to unfinished items too. It's so much easier just leaving them in place ready for the next round of sewing.

    BTW I'm glad you do the same as me with the ironing board, mine's always up ready to press my sewing, but it has also helped with ironing in general...I do tend to iron more stuff now. :)

    Big hugs,
    X
    P.S. Sorry about the previous comment full of errors. I also ordered a Cu-poche! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy with it, that I'm a little worried something will happen to take it away!
      Funnily enough, I am so sure that the sewing table will eventually be set up with the machine all the time, that I'm already planning what I will end up putting where the sewing machine is now! Lol
      I saw your Cu-poche! Haven't commented yet because it's that time of day and the children have lost their minds

      Delete
  3. I need one of those step stools too. There are at least two things that I want to accomplish right now, that I am too short to do. You also have some very nice storage ideas.

    I agree with Xanadu about leaving your sewing machine (and overlocker) out. I'd never get anything done if I had to drag both of those out when I wanted to sew. I also want to see what kind of machines you have. :)

    Velazquez used to be one of my favorite painters. I was fortunate enough to see some of his work at the Prado Museum in Madrid, including Las Meninas, which was the work of his that I like the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my little step stool! I have another one that gets dragged around the house and I couldn't live without it.
      I'm jealous that you've gotten to see a Velaquez in person although I recently discovered that my particular print is no longer believed to be by Velaquez, which is sad but it's still pretty.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I didn't see any mention about that portrait when I doubled checked to see what painting it was. Then again, I did look on Wikipedia, so you get what you pay for. ;) It is a very nice picture, and it really does look like his style, anyway.

      Delete