Wednesday 18 March 2020

Ugh! More freaking plague!

I want to start by saying, I'm having issues posting comments on other people's blogs at the moment. As soon as I start typing a comment, the option to post that comment, completely disappears. Linda's blog won't let me comment AT ALL, other people's do sometimes but not always. I'm still reading stuff though.

For the next few weeks I'm going to try to post here as much as I can. Why? I'm going insane. The whole world is going mad. Coronavirus is everywhere and I'm trying not to think about it too much because it's setting off my anxiety. Which is hard because the websites I look at are either not posting at the moment or every second thing they post is Coronavirus. I want to not overthink it, but there's no way to distract myself, because there's nothing to read that's not going to bring it up. The hardest part for me is everything out of the US is encouraging self-isolation to prevent exposure, while last I heard, the official stance of the UK government was along the lines of "just get it and get it over and done with". Nobody seems to realise that these two attitudes can't coexist. If the UK goes for Herd Immunity, that wastes the whole self-isolation thing everywhere else seems to be doing, because six months down the track, it'll just pop up again! And I shall do my best never to speak of Coronavirus again. But as I said, going to try to post more often, even if it's something stupid and isn't overly professional, partly to distract myself, partly so if any of you are in the same boat, there's something non-corona-y to read.

 I still have not finished sorting my fabric. I keep forgetting to get boxes and I got distracted sewing for Tiny. Tiny is an extremely low maintenance kid, and sometimes it feels like the only thing I really do for her is make clothes. And she had suddenly gotten too tall for nearly everything I'd made. And I like her wearing dresses - they're quicker for bum changes and I don't have to fold them up. And at the moment, shop bought dresses look stupid on her. She's always been thin, but she lost a lot of weight with that virus she had, and last week she had hand, foot and mouth disease, which meant more weight loss. But now she's too skinny to fill out a size 0, but too tall for a size 1. I can at least make stuff that kind of fits. (Meanwhile, I'm replacing her steamed veggie lunches with mac and cheese or pasta, when I can get it and encouraging her to eat cheese and drink milk, in the hopes of fattening her up before winter.)
Anyway, here are my tiny dresses so far.

This was supposed to be made in a much larger print, without the lace. I made this, in a hurry, to test the pattern. Then I couldn't find the fabric I wanted to make a final version from. The lace was thrown on to hide some messy stitching (because I rushed it, and as I keep learning, rushing and sewing are not friends.) The overall effect is a bit more Little House on the Prairie, than I planned, and I suppose it's okay, but I don't love it.

I DO love this one! It's dotted swiss with a high yoke and waterfall frills. My theory was that she could wear this over a merino spencer and leggings for most of winter. But I accidentally used the wrong sleeves on it and now they're not long enough to hide an undershirt. But it's so pretty, I'll probably make her wear it anyway.

This one is my favourite. It's weird, but also awesome. Even more awesome because the shoulder frills (or bretelles, depending on how many vintage copies of the Delineator you read) are lined with peacock blue silk. Which looks amazing.

This last one I feel a bit blah about.

It's made from an old shirt. I like the stripes but I didn't completely think it through. I was going to gather the skirt on, but the baby was sick and the boy was a shit, so I quickly pleated it on instead, which probably would've been fine with any other fabric. I don't like what it does to the stripes though.


5 comments:

  1. The peacock dress is lovely, but I also like the first dress. The blue print is very nice, and the little trim is so cute. As far as the striped dress, at least you won't mind if Tiny gets it stained. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I think the first one will grow on me, at the moment I'm just disappointed it didn't turn out how I expected which isn't surprising since I used a completely different fabric, trim, and length than I was picturing. Lol

      Delete
  2. Nice to see amidst all this kerfuffle you have managed to be creative . . . well done Rachael! Personally I'm hibernating. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! Mostly I'm just trying to distract myself.
      Hibernating is good too. I hope you still get to do your Paris trip! (Or can get your money back)

      Delete
  3. Thanks Linda. Yeah, it is your blog that never lets me comment, but others don't always let me either, so I think the issue must be with my account and not your blog.
    (BTW hope you and your parents are feeling better)

    ReplyDelete